[LRflex] little Hopi boy...

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:12:23 -0700

On Oct 29, 2007, at 2:11 AM, KEITH LONGMORE wrote:

Ted, Steve
I can't really answer properly at this time, because I'm about to head for the airport and sunny Detroit. But, very quickly....Ted I remember your statement, quoted by another forum member that colour photographs show the clothes and black and white the soul (as near verbatim as I remember it). I actually don't think B/W shows the soul, either. As you say in your answer, you can't truly get inside someone's head with photographs. Interesting, perhaps to draw a parallel to the Madeleine McCann affair: it seems that a lot of people think the McCanns are guilty of killing their own child because they don't show the 'right' emotions in the media. Obviously the public has a perception of what it expects to see - but how do you catch that when all you have is a camera? (Whatever the public expectation might be?) And maybe a manager/editor whose only concern is selling copy?

Steve
Don't think I'm criticising or at all denigrating what you do, indeed, quite the reverse. But I was musing over the whole subject area; indeed, a part of it that interests me. (I've always been passionately interested in things historical, good bad, etc., and man's inhumanitiy to man is an enormous part of that.) I'm not sure what I feel about your subjects, and maybe that is a part of the wider issue. I have a clearer sense of what I feel about the subjects that I described, perhaps because they're both personal experience-based and, given that I'm old enough to remember the centre of Coventry in ruins after WWII, with direct contact with people involved, including my own parents and brother, so much closer to my own involvement. I found it difficult to put on paper what I was trying to say, and answering even more difficult, especially in a hurry. Maybe I'll send off line when I return, rather than cluttering up the forum. And, Ted, I'd be very happy to have a chat around a coffee, but I'm usually several thousand miles away from you - so it's not going to happen, methinks! :-) .....unless it's an e-coffee....
Cheer for now
Keith

thanks Keith...

I have mulled over your thoughts quite a bit, I believe I am coming to understand...

until later,

have a good trip,

Steve