[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V6 #218

  • From: "John Guthrie" <guthriej@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:45:31 +0800

Hi

I've been looking at Douglas's scanned images and I would really like to know
how they were scanned. I have rather a lot of slides and negatives that I would
like to scan but I not sure what the best and reasonably affordable method is.

Currently I'm using an Epson 4870 flatbed with film carriers but it is slow,
the Nikon Coolscan 9000 looks good but expensive for extra carriers.

The other option is to put the canon on a Multiblitz or Elinchrom duplicator
and copy the slides at  1to1 ratio.

Any help or suggestions that you can will be greatly appreciated except for
those with unpleasant language.

Regards
John

Perth
WA

Sent: Wednesday, 29 July 2009 13:06
To: leicareflex digest users
Subject: leicareflex Digest V6 #218

Leica Reflex Forum Digest
+------------------------+------------------------------------
leicareflex Digest      Tue, 28 Jul 2009        Volume: 06  Issue: 218

In This Issue:
                [LRflex] Re: IMG: Super-wide Auto  P+S in York Minster
                [LRflex] Re: IMG: Super-wide Auto  P+S in York Minster
                [LRflex] Re: Newbie intro
                [LRflex] Re: IMG: Super-wide Auto  P+S in York Minster
                [LRflex] Attention: All list members...
                [LRflex] Re: Attention: All list members...
                [LRflex] Re: Attention: All list members...
                [LRflex] Re: Pole Bending

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:03:54 +0200
From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: IMG: Super-wide Auto  P+S in York Minster

Thank you David,
There is more of my home county to come as soon as I've done some more
scanning - along the lines of pastures green, valleys of desolation,
green and pleasant lands and dark satanic mills. William Blake certainly
knew what he was writing about in the words for Parry's "Jerusalem".

Cheers
Douglas

------------------------------

From: "phil... vairo" <stolen_msn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 22:50:18 +1030

it loox like u got alot of time u sad cunt!!

> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:03:54 +0200
> From: douglas.sharp@xxxxxx
> To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [LRflex] Re: IMG: Super-wide Auto P+S in York Minster
>
> Thank you David,
>
> There is more of my home county to come as soon as I've done some more
> scanning - along the lines of pastures green, valleys of desolation,
> green and pleasant lands and dark satanic mills. William Blake certainly
> knew what he was writing about in the words for Parry's "Jerusalem".
>
> Cheers
> Douglas
>

> David Young wrote:
> > At 7/25/2009, you wrote:
> >> I found these slides of York Minster in a drawer the other day -
> >> they've been there since 1991.
> >>
> >> Shot by a Minolta CLE with a 15mm CV lens.
> >>
> >> "by" is intentional - all I did was put the camera on a table or
> >> window ledge, set the aperture and get out of the way - the CLE did
> >> the rest all by itself.
> >>
> >> The blurred spots are people walking past the camera, not ghosts of
> >> long dead archbishops:
> >>
> >> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Mostly+old+stuff/
> >>
> >> Hope you enjoy them, C&C is, as always, more than welcome.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Douglas
> >

> > Hi Douglas!
> >
> > I agree with Ted ... a _very_ nice set of interiors... the results
> > belie the method.
> >
> > The #2 shot, from behind the Rood Screen, is the best of the bunch, IMHO.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > ---
> > David Young
> > Logan Lake, BC
> >
> > Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net <http://www.furnfeather.net/>
> > Rodeo Photos: www.galleries.furnfeather.net
> > <http://www.galleries.furnfeather.net/>
> > Personal Website: www.main.furnfeather.net
> > <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>

Use Windows Live Messenger from your Hotmail inbox Web IM has arrived!
http://windowslive.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id‚3454

------------------------------

From: Dave Tang <electricblues31@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Newbie intro
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:08:27 +0800

Guys,

I am going M for now.  Getting a repainted black M2.  Time to shop for M
lenses.  However, I still want to keep R6.2 in mind.  Will try to find a decent
one.  For now, my R lenses will go together with my Canon 5Dm2.

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:05:41 -0700
From: speleo_karst@xxxxxxxxx
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wouldn't recommend an R4S because it is akward to use with manual metering.

I had one, but "upgraded" to an R4 just for that reason.
BTW, my R4 has one of the "bad" serial numbers but has been completely reliable
in the three years I've had it.

Another possibility to consider is a Leicaflex SL or SL2 instead of the R6.2.
You get a larger and heavier beast, but a better viewfinder and many other
things.

Chris

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:32:19 +0200
From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>

No time to read any more language like that

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:03:05 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Attention: All list members...

Douglas wrote:
>No time to read any more language like that

Agreed.

-----

Fellow Flexers:

I do not know who "Phil...Vario: is, for he only subscribed
yesterday. That was his first, and final, post.

He has been suspended and can no longer post.  I have asked him for
an explanation as well as letters of apology to both Douglas and the
list. If these are not provided, within 24 hours, he will be
unsubscribed and permanently blacklisted from the group.

Somehow, I do not think I will receive anything.  If I do, and he can
convince me that he has reasonable qualifications to continue to
participate in this list, he will be allowed to remain on the list,
but as a "read only" member.  You will not hear from him, again.

A second chap subscribed yesterday and, shortly after Phil... Vario's
post, he unsubscribed.  Can't say that I blame him, for if Phil's
language were typical of this list, I wouldn't want to belong,
either!  I have written him a letter, as well, explaining the
situation, in the hopes that he might rejoin the list and give it a
somewhat longer trial.

Thanks for reading, and for your understanding.

David.
---

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:35:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ed Willoughby <ed_willoughby@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Attention: All list members...

Hi David.

The email address looks like someone who tried to pose as one of us and stir up
some trouble.  "phil... vairo" stolen_msn@xxxxxxxxxxx

No doubt they have too much time on their hands!

Thanks for handling.

Ed.

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:00:27 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ed wrote:
>  The email address looks like someone who tried to pose as one of
> us and stir up some trouble.  "phil... vairo"
> <mailto:stolen_msn@xxxxxxxxxxx>stolen_msn@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, the address raised suspicions as soon as I saw it. Moments later
I read his post.

>No doubt they have too much time on their hands!

The sad part is that if he does, indeed, have a lot of time on his
hands, there are so many better ways he could spend it.

>Thanks for handling.

Yer welcome!  That's mah job, man ... that's mah job.  ;-)

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:08:45 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Pole Bending

Steve Barbour wrote:
>>When I teach photography, I stress the virtues of framing your shot
>>with trees, bridge arches or whatever you have, if you cannot get
>>close enough. The frame brings the viewers eye to the matter at hand.
>>
>>But never before, have I been able to frame a shot with dust.
>>
>>http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Dust.htm
>

>That is a truly tremendous image David, love it...

Thanks, Steve, for your kind words, and for taking the time to comment.

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:47:51 +0200
From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>

Yes indeed, thank you David for applying a liberal dose of pesticide :-)

From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:12:12 -0700

David Young showed:

 <http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Dust.htm>
http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Dust.htm

Hi David,

An excellent action picture including the dust.

The rider has her tongue between her teeth in concentration,  The depth of
field covers the sharpness of both the horse's head/face and the rider.
usually one or the other can be soft in this on coming type action.

You must be amassing a fine collection of rodeo pictures. I'd hope you are
also watching for the sponsor logos behind and around the actions purely as
"FOR SALE" images to said sponsors. Or media requests as well as stock
images. And every week when you have your usual smashing photos you contact
every sponsor with photos you have with their name clearly visible in the
frame.

This is no different than skating championships where we always tried for
best action with a name sponsor logo behind the skaters. It can make extra
dollar return from every event. Not to forget contacting the sponsor shown,
as well as finding out who their primary advertising agency is beyond this
local rodeo. .. In particular "who has their main National or international
adverting account?"

Once again another fine action photograph! Actually it must look great as a
13X19 size print!

As you go from one rodeo to the next, do you take an 8.5X11 print in
envelope ready for immediate sale to the riders, families and friends? Many
of them must do the circuits every weekend so have a print along can
automatically put dollars in your pocket. Besides, by now you must becoming
"THE RODEO SHOOTER OF THE DAY!" to competitors and crowds so they' almot
automatically expect you to come along with a photo of thm in action. Trust
me they don't always have to be the "million dollar shot"! :-)

I did this in the good old days of stock car racing and quite often came
home with an $100 bucks just from selling 8X10's to the drivers and pit
crews. And from orders for prints I'd deliver the next week race.

Cheers,

Dr. ted :-)

---
David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos:  <http://www.furnfeather.net/> www.furnfeather.net
Rodeo Photos:  <http://www.galleries.furnfeather.net/>
www.galleries.furnfeather.net
Personal Website:  <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>
www.main.furnfeather.net

06:00:00

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>

Thank You David for your prompt and active attention to the Ludicrous Posting
you acted upon. I suspect Ed is correct about the 'poster' being a random type
trouble maker.
Good Riddance to their machinations!
Richard W

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.
~•~
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" Wayne Gretzky
~•~
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows or Gates?
~•~
It's okay to be stupid. Just don't be gung-ho about it.