[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #141

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:55:27 +0100

Hi David
I'm pleased to hear that you have some sort of closure from Leica.  I
suppose there might have been the possibility of buying a second-hand
DMR, but I guess after all the grief you would be very nervous of doing
so!  Interesting to see your comment that Leica was only obligated to
repair your DMR; in the EU, and especially UK, I'm pretty sure that
consumer law would entitle you to your money back, and possibly
expenses, too.  What about the R9 now (or is it R8?)  Back to film, or
sell it?  If it's just going to sit there unused, that's also a major
loss, effectively, isn't it?

I have been researching Takumar lenses, with a view to getting rid of my
old non-Pentax M42 lenses, and buying, say, two appropriate Takumars.  I
was surprised to find that some of them - notably the 300 and 400, which
I'm interested in - use fluorite glass (apochromatic!)  Considering they
were designed over thirty years ago, if I can find the ones I want,
it'll be interesting to see how they compare with Leica glass.
Certainly the Auto-Takumar standard lens was very impressive, and that's
not even multi-coated, let alone apo.  My Pentax S1 is usable now, but I
want to do a little more work on it before I try it out again.

Oh well, I'm heading off to parts eastward tonight, so I'll be looking
forward to lots of digests on my return, and posting lots of nice
pictures..!

REgards folks!
Keith Longmore