[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #132

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:36:38 -0700

At 16/05/2007, you wrote:
>Hi folks
>David - nice shot of the little girl.  My thoughts regarding what I
>might change: background colour - maybe a bit darker?  And crop the
>sides a bit?

Hi Keith!

Not sure a darker background would work .... it's pretty much a "high
key" style shot... and works well, that way.

As for the crop... you are right.  I framed it they way I did, to
eliminate another kid, who'd be partly in the shot, had I balanced
her.  If I moved her further to the left (which would have been my
choice), I'd have part of another kid in the shot!  However, framed
as an 8x10" rather than the current 8x12" format, would solve the
problem.  This was, unfortunately, a Q&D scan from the 4x6" drugstore print.

>Re Leica's R10 etc., you know, I'm only trying to play devil's advocate
>here!  But, and, Doug, this is a moot point, have a look at what press
>photographers use, and see if you can find a Leica.  What did press
>photographers in Viet Nam use?  Nikon Fs!  Look at press photographers
>in any war zone - what do you see them using?

Sonny is right... most 'Nam era pro's still carried an M
Leica.  However, in earlier wars, Leica was it!  Nikon was just
getting going in the Korean War.

But, it's the pros that Leica want back.  If people see the pros
using Canon, they buy Canon  Certainly, it was the pro's use of the
Nikon F that make Nikon the SLR of choice for many years.  If they
see them switching to Leica (in significant numbers) the amateurs
will follow.  That is Leica's reasoning.

My own ideas for how they can do this are spelled out in my reply to
Andy, a few minutes ago.

>My Robot is nearly ready to test now, I discovered that there is a bit
>missing that I have to make.  So I hope to have some Robot pics to post
>soon.

I, for one, will look forward to seeing them1

>PS - I've posted a few photographs from TRNC.  Anyone care to guess what
>they were taken with?

Where?