[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #132

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 10:36:29 +0100

Hi folks
David - nice shot of the little girl.  My thoughts regarding what I
might change: background colour - maybe a bit darker?  And crop the
sides a bit?

Re Leica's R10 etc., you know, I'm only trying to play devil's advocate
here!  But, and, Doug, this is a moot point, have a look at what press
photographers use, and see if you can find a Leica.  What did press
photographers in Viet Nam use?  Nikon Fs!  Look at press photographers
in any war zone - what do you see them using?

With the best will in the world, the press photography market is a hell
of a lot more valuable to manufacturers than  the bird photographer
market!  Like you, I prefer to use my skills rather than those of the
camera, but having a range of cameras from the 1930s through to 2007, I
enjoy using them all.  The 'IS' in my Fuji is based on maximising
shutter speed; nothing more sophisticated, and, yes, I can do it
manually.  But if I get a chance of a 'once in a lifetime' shot, and the
camera enables me to get it - however less than perfect the result -
then I'm for it!  I don't, however, want a DSLR.  I think they go too
far, too many buttons and menus.I don't want to pay (can't, either!)
thousands for lenses of any make.  My old Leica glass is excellent, but
it's so heavy that I NEVER take it all out together.  There are pros and
cons for my Canon EOS 600 too.  It has AF, which seems to work very well
for me; the metering is also very good indeed.  Again its main drawback
is weight and bulk.  I have a Rolleiflex T.  I love it!  But it can't do
what the Canon,  or the Leica, or the Fuji, does.  If a new TLR like it
appeared on the market now, I wouldn't buy it, it's simply too limited.

I intend when I can to sort my old Pentax S1.  It desperately needs CLA
after 40-odd years.  That was a joy to use.  Very smooth; bright
viewfinder (far better than the R-E's viewfinder); nice weight and
feel.  I could hold exposures with that, that I wouldn't even dream of
trying, even with USM!

There are many sectors of photography, both professional and amateur.
Unfortunately, manufacturers have to consider the widest picture they
can, rather than the specific requirements of one or two sectors alone.

And now I'll shut up, and just hope it all comes right for Leica.

My Robot is nearly ready to test now, I discovered that there is a bit
missing that I have to make.  So I hope to have some Robot pics to post
soon.

Cheers
Keith L
PS - I've posted a few photographs from TRNC.  Anyone care to guess what
they were taken with?