[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #129

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 09:45:58 -0700

Doug Herr wrote:

>Keith Longmore said:
>
> > The DMR has
> > clearly tarnished Leica in many eyes (David, for example...? ;-)
>
>The DMR isn't the problem.  Leica's customer service is the problem
>in this case.

Keith, Doug and all:

Doug is right... the Imacon designed and built, DMR has proven itself
to be a highly reliable unit.  The only "common" problem seems to be
the left side setting wheel, which has been known to come loose and
even fall off!  Here, Leica have designed a new wheel/anchoring
system which, once fixed, seems never to give trouble again!

Indeed, all the problems with my DMR stem not from it's failure, but
from it's being destroyed by leaking water whilst in the Solms
factory.  (It was there because my R8 had failed!)

And the current problem seems not to be with the replacement DMR, but
rather with the camera!

The problems have been long and very, very frustrating for me. But
they stem, as Doug says, from Leica's customer service and much
bureaucratic bungling before it even got to them!

> > If it performed to customer expectations in every way, it would
> > have a band of
> > ecstatic owners, wouldn't it?
>
>There is a band of ecstatic owners.  There are only 3000 of us so
>we're not much of a voice on the internet compared to the hundreds of
>thousands for whom other cameras are good enough.

Despite my problems with Leica, you can count me in the "ecstatic
band".  I've never seen a digital camera (until the M8) which could
deliver such results.  It has it's foibles, but the think works like
nothing else!  I just wish it had a decent company behind it!