[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V3 #22

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:58:05 -0800

Art Tafil offered:
>>> Hey guy's,
> I remember reading in Brian Bower's Leica Reflex book that Leica didn't
> recommend using a 2X with the 70~210 zoom, because the resulting pics
> would not "Be
> up to the usual Leica standards". Maybe there is something to it?????<<<

Hi Art,
Anything the Leica techies think will degrade the test bench image is
immediately considered a no-no in their book, no matter who writes the book.

When I first thought of locking a 1.4 + 2X with the 280 in effect making it
an f 8.0 hand holdable 800mm lens, Leica immediately dismissed it "as not
recommended." However, by the time I'd asked them I'd already shot a half
dozen rolls of Kodachrome 64 acquiring some beautiful "long range" photos.
Plus macro's because I'd also added a "macro adapter" to some to see what
happened and they were absolutely amazing.  Dew drops on blades of grass
macro shot with an 800mm lens? Like out of this world. :-)

As I locked them together I did it gently, didn't force anything and each
clicked into place as they should. Not to mention I've used this lens set-up
quite a number of times as well as the 2 extenders with the 400 2.8.

Quality of images? Excellent! On a test bench measuring twiggy nuts to lines
of zilch, plus a microscope you might find some little thing off from their
"test bench" standards, but who cares because you can't see it completely
indistinguishable by the human eye.

Hell my first re-action is this.. "I wonder what would happen if I add the
2X to the 70~210 zoom R lens and what would the image look like?"  Then do
it as long as the flanges lock together OK! You may find it works
beautifully and you now have 140-420 lens. yep a couple stops slower, but
that's no big deal if you work within reasonable light or higher speed film
rating.

Look nothing ventured nothing gained.
ted