[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V12 #176

  • From: "Peter Stevens" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "fritzj3@yahoo" for DMARC)
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 10:29:42 +0000 (UTC)

Good morning, folks. Does anyone here on the list have a suggestion for a
repair technician in North America who has experience with working on Leica DMR
digital backs? I just got word from Leica Repair in Germany that the unit that
I sent in was not repairable due to lack of spare parts; but they declined to
identify what was wrong with the unit or what parts were no longer available in
Germany. Before I give up on the unit I thought that I'd explore the options on
this side of the Atlantic with private techs. Any assistance that y'all have
would be gratefully accepted. Thank you.
Best regards,Peter Stevens
From:    David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:17:23 -0700
Subject: [LRflex] The Frankenlens...

I've been experimenting with using a bit of "Frankenlens"... a 500/8 Reflex
Nikkor and my old Leitz 2x converter on the Olympus E-M1.

On a monopod.

Because this is an f16 combination, ISO 3200 is requried, even in broad
daylight.  (At least on today's broad daylight, as we cannot see the sun, for
smoke from nearby forest fires.)

This combination is only possible because a previous owner had the Nikkor
converted to a Leica "R" mount!

This shot is of a Yellow Bellied Marmot, about 2o to 22 feet away from me.
Uncropped.

Resolution is not bad, with the 500 alone, but I think it suffers with the 2x.
OTOH, how else do you get a 2000mm eFL?

The experiment is here.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/Marmot.html

Comments and critique, welcomed as always.

David.

------------------------------

From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: The Frankenlens...
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 16:31:22 -0700

Love the bit of excess on his lower lip....

How did you get from 500mm with a 2x converter to 2000mm?  The crop factor
of the Olympus gets you to 2000mm?

Back on topic... some of these older lenses we have kicking around get new
use by melding them with digi-cameras.
I have a Tamron 300 F2.8 that I lusted over for years.  Finally got one (
and that was many years ago) and used it a few times, then put in the back
of a closet and forgot about it.  It has come out several times lately,
either with the D7100 ( Auto Diaphragm is REALLY nice to have) or with the
A7.
I never could nor will I ever be able to actually justify the purchase of a
450 F2.8 lens..... but there it is...in its glory, on the D7100.

Monopods are great.... 2 less feet to trip on.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i@xxxxxxxxxxx

From:    David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 20:15:36 -0700

Good Evenin' Frank!

Love the bit of excess on his lower lip....

I didn't mind the "excess", as it's a piece of one of my weeds!

How did you get from 500mm with a 2x converter to 2000mm?  The crop factor
of the Olympus gets you to 2000mm?

Yup.  500mm + 2x converter + 2x crop factor = 2000mm eFL.

The 500/8 Reflex Nikkor is not a bad lens - quite sharp, though with the low
contrast and the odd donut bokeh that all mirror lenses have.

But the 2x does NOT do it any favours, that's for sure.  Still, a fun
experiment.

And yes, a 450mm f2.8 would be sweet.  Got an image or two to show us??

And, what's auto-diaphragm?  In fact, with the 500/8, what diaphragm?

Cheers!

David.

From: William Abbott <bill2301@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:32:00 -0700

Davis,

You’re kidding, that’s a selfie, right?

Bill

On Jul 9, 2015, at 15:17, David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been experimenting with using a bit of "Frankenlens"... a 500/8 Reflex
Nikkor and my old Leitz 2x converter on the Olympus E-M1.

On a monopod.

Because this is an f16 combination, ISO 3200 is required, even in broad

From:    David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 20:48:36 -0700

Davis,

You're kidding, that's a selfie, right?