[LRFlex] Re: leicareflex Digest V1 #50

  • From: Barney Kahn <thekahnman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:29:17 -0700 (PDT)

90mm f/2 APO-SUMMICRON-R ASPH or 100mm f/2.8
APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-R?

According to
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/main.html both are
really great. However with all of the reading I've
been doing, it seems that most if not all of the
newest and/or updated versions surpass the quality of
the older. I understand that the 90mm f/2 ASPH is a
much newer design than the 100mm APO and has some
better qualities. With that sort of thinking, I would
lean towards the 90mm f/2 ASPH except it has a small
amount of distortion and has "soft?" focus from 1.5
meters and closer (with lens wide open).. So now I'm
thinking of going with the 100mm f/2.8.

All of the qualities of the 100mm f 2.8 sounds right
for me such as getting in close with high quality at
all openings, however the 90mm f/2.0 ASPH is listed as
having really nice "imaging properties at full
aperture" and is better in all other areas due to it's
newer design...

I'm not sure if I would really that difference when my
slides are projected on my 70 screen (with a leica
projector and lens) when compaired with the 100
Elmarit.  I would think so if there really is a
difference in lens quality.

The 100mm would probably be easier to get in close to
small animals such as a kitten and face/sholder face
shots of my friends when compaired to the 90mm.  When
I get in close, it will be more for small animals
rather than people.

Has anyone worked with both a 90mm and a 100mm?  Why
would you like one over the other?

Thank you,

Barney