[LRFlex] Re: leica R lens on Digital boxes

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:18:40 -0800

on 12/29/04 5:21 PM, S Gardner at scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Doug, your reply is, uh, provocative.
>
> I'd like to learn more about the differences you mention; have you posted your
> comments somewhere?  Or would they ruffle too many feathers?  ;o)
>
> Thanks!/Scott Gardner (who is always interested in learning something more
> about quality . . .)

Consumer-grade cameras - this is not disparraging terminology, it's a way to
distinguish equipment that represents excellent bang-for-the-buck from the
equipment that gives you the most bang, bucks-be-damned - are designed to
give results that will please a majority of people.

What you get with the bucks-be-damned cameras is longer service life,
tighter tolerances, better servicability (meaning repair-ability), the
ability to fine-tune the camera to the tightest tolerances vs. being stuck
with whatever tolerances come out of the factory, optimized viewfinders vs.
cost-effective viewfinders.

For example: the AF systems of Canon's 1-series cameras are considerd within
spec if the system delivers correct focus within 1/3 DOF.  Canon's
consumer-grade cameras are considered within spec if the AF is within 1 DOF
of correct focus.  There's going to be more variation in the consumer-grade
cameras.  Apparently Ted's 20D is closer to correct focus than the spec
permits; others have found that the alignment of the 20D's mirror box isn't
good enough for shallow DOF lenses like the 180 APO-Summicron-R or 80mm
Summilux-R at full aperture.

Comsumer-grade cameras will be within spec in the regions covered by the AF
sensors; whether you'll get correct focus when focussing manually in other
parts of the viewscreen is more a matter of chance than design, while a
bucks-be-damned camera can be adjusted so that the flange/capture
medium/mirror/viewscreen system is in perfect alignment.  The
bucks-be-damned camera ought to give you accurate focus whether you use the
center of the viewscreen or an area 2/3 out to the edge or a corner to
focus.

Likewise metering systems can be adjusted or programmed for varying degrees
of accuracy from one end of the sensetivity range to the other.  The same is
true for shutters.  Whether you need the greater accuracy and adjustability
is a personal choice - but it costs money to build-in the adjustability, the
tighter tolerances, and the longer service life.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm