[LRflex] Re: la posada hotel.. Winslow, Arizona AND OTHERS.

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 08:50:11 -0700

On Sep 5, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

Steve Barbour shows us How! Again and again!

Subject: [LRflex]

Hi Steve & others,

This is a look at about a half dozen Steve Barbour postings one after the other.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/posada- garden.jpg.html<<<<<<

If part of photography is about feelings this is a beauty right on the mark comforting. Like who wouldn’t want to spend time right here relaxing as the picture illustrates. Good one Steve.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/trackssunset.jpg.html

M8  S'lux 35mm 1.4 ASPH<<<<<<<

The Magic of Light! Simple railway tracks become ribbons of shining light instead of railway tracks. It’s all in the eye and the ability to see beauty where others merely see rusting rails! Fine use of a simple 35mm lens as I first thought it might have been a 21mm.

==================================

>> Using the M8 with a CV 12mm lens...at home... a surprisingly effective combination,

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/up.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/up2.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/tikwawbw.jpg.html

The first two are interesting but fall into the usual thing most photogs shoot when they first play with a super wide lens. Shooting up trees be they coconut palms or cedars, whatever. We all have done this.

However! The third one with Tikwa the dog is all about using a super wide in interesting fashion. I’d bet most people would re-act in negative manner if they were to hear you were going to use a 12mm lens to photograph a dog as they’d be expecting ridiculous distortion. I think it a normal re-action to using a 12mm or other super wide lenses.

But this works beautifully because the camera is “HELD STRAIGHT VERTICALLY AND HORIZONTALLY CORRECT!” And that is the major secret to using any super wide lens. Unless you deliberately want wild wild distortion.

And if this is the mode of operation, wild distortion, then go as wild as possible, wilder the better. Simply because a teensy bit of distortion will kill you every time! I don’t see any 12mm distortion in this photograph. All I see is a damn fine photograph well executed! J

>>> When I saw the magnificent film, Out of Africa,  last evening...

it pushed me to return to the early images of Chipaye in our hospital,

just after her arrival from Congo, Africa...

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/ chipaye.jpg.html<<<<<<

You’ve all heard me say the three most important things to make a good photograph are: LIGHT – EYES – CONTENT!

Need I say more about this picture? I have no idea what I’d do or think of doing to improve it without screwing it up. Perfect Steve!

we hit the dog park at 5 am...poor tikwa, it's a tough life...

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/tikwa-lr.jpg.html

Well it maybe 5 a.m. but look at the light! It’s called “SHOOTING FROM THE SHADOW SIDE!” Clean and simple! Man if it’s Light – eyes – content for people, here’s an excellent example it works well with animals also. Once a photog learns this simple light thing then you automatically begin to see it and move into a shoot position to make use of it. Certainly in more places than you could ever have imagined.

Unfortunately as many times as I’ve explained LIGHT and shoot from the shadow side with examples. There are still some folks who obviously don’t have a clue what the hell understanding and seeing light can do in making or breaking a photograph. Be that as it may, obviously Steve is one who always makes the light work for him. Please take note: shoot from the shadow side folks!

So Steve I think I’ve finally caught up with your last postings to date. Just keep them coming as they’re always great examples for others to learn from in many ways.

ted
thank you Ted for looking, and for your great kindness....Steve