[LRflex] Re: in the neurosurgical OR...4 images

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:16:05 -0700

Steve Barbour showed in colour:
Subject: [LRflex] in the neurosurgical OR...4 images

the surgeon...

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/thesurgeon

the anesthesiologist...

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/anesthesiaOR

I can do this with my eyes closed...

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/eyes

the hands...

http://www.solio.us/gallery/PAW/hands2

Hi Steve and others,

Now we have an interesting potential for comparing colour image action in
the OR with B&W in similar action by clicking on this site:

http://www.tedgrantphoto.com/Medical%20Images.htm

Most of the comments about Steve's series and his stand alone hands have
been.. "Nice colour Steve. love the colour.beautiful colour etc. etc. on
colour.

Hardly one comment about the "content, other than "playing cards!"

Please understand this isn't a hit on Steve's photography, because he's one
cool shooter in any environment as we all know. But the opportunity for
comparison why in some cases B&W is all about the content and not the
emotional reactions of "looking at colour."

Black and White is intellectual:

"I love black and white. It's strong and powerful, it makes me

think and truly look at the photograph.  There are no colors getting in the
way of what I am examining! No colour distractions to take your eyes away
from the content or action!"

Colour is sensual:

Appealing to the eye/mental reaction of colour.

Comments:   "Oh, look at the colour." is a common remark, which in turn

illustrates not seeing the content beyond the colour. Not always, because
there are times when colour makes the picture. Sunsets, the clothes of India
and many other "colour situations."

Now here we have added factors to our likes and dislikes of one over the
other, or do we?  So what say you folks?

Is B&W intellectual and colour sensual?

Are you more inclined to look at an image longer if it's B&W? Or colour? Or
does it depend on the subject contained in the exposure?

ted

 which when I add this page of B&W we have an interesting comparison of
colour vs B&W.

Look here for B&W comparison images.