[LRflex] Re: hummingbird, lenses eetc.

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: LRF <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:31:05 -0700

On Aug 14, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:

On Aug 14, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

KEITH LONGMORE offered:

> [...]

Your shots of the children were very good. But - and I don't know how to say this - presuming these are your patients, I'm a bit surprised that you photograph them for public consumption. I think to do so here in the UK would be VERY frowned on!<<<

thanks again Keith for your responding and comments, but I am again confused by your statements Keith as well as their tone...

"presuming these are your patients" what are you asking and does it make a difference?

"photograph them for public consumption" what does this mean and what are you insinuating ?

I look at these images as able to tell a story, help people see new things, and possibly make a difference.

I care for these patients as a doctor, as a human being, and I hope that is most evident by carefully looking at the images...

Steve

Keith,

First of all each of us have the right to our own opinions: However.

Who cares what happens in the UK. Besides Steve has signed permission from parent, guardian or whomever responsible for the child or children. No different than when we shot our book’s Doctor’s Work and Women in Medicine. And the recent BRAVO TV production about my life as a photojournalist where we were shooting in the hospital OR with med students learning to be “cutters!”

Besides all of Steve’s pictures are heart warming and or moving to viewers without any negative aspect whatsoever! Actually he shows the tragedies of life in many children of the world that we’d never be aware of, and quite possibly making us more caring folk toward the less fortunate.

And Leica?

Once again who really cares, unless you have a few million dollars hung-up in the company? Quite frankly for over 50 years I’ve had nothing but Leica’s in my hands. Like sometimes 6 of them hanging off my body during the heat of certain assignments. They, the cameras - lenses have helped me be a better photographer and develop a style of shooting that has been my mark.

But what the company does or doesn’t do means diddly squat to the success of my photography. And quite frankly the company has been so horribly managed for the past 30 or more years it’ll be a miracle if any human being can turn them into a full blown power house of recognition they once commanded in the world and with photographers.

A small suggestion. To everyone who has sleepless nights about Leica’s survival and what to do to survive. Get a life, go take pictures and enjoy being out in the world having fun. J And yes with your Leica’s! J

Besides they wouldn’t listen to you in any event no matter what you say or suggest.

Have a nice picture day. J

ted