[LRflex] Re: griselda...

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:03:52 -0700

Steve Barbour offered:
Subject: [LRflex] Re: griselda...

hi Ted,

>it moves and impresses me how some people get a positive message from

>these images of resilient children, and others see only a frightful

>and negative side to it...

>including the comments like...

>I am always afraid to look....it's too disturbing, it makes me cry so

>I won't look...

>to which I respond,

>>"I terribly regret that there may be a negative reaction,

>as I hope to depict reality, and the heroism of children in the face

>of adversity.

>This is of course an important part of reality, as you know...

>the message in fact, is always very positive...

>in fact even life affirming,

>please don't be scared...

>see reality, and see that there are real heroes in this world...<<<<<<<

Hi Steve,

Every time I open one of your postings I'm always in awe at what you lads do
day after day dealing with potentially dying children in many of their
conditions.

I've shed a tear or more as I see it as a travesty of life that children are
affected quite often by a malady I think of something a senior citizen might
have who's had their lifetime.

I'm never ever offended by any of the pictures, as I look at them as
photographs first, reality second. That's what being a photojournalist is
about! The after shock comes later and usually does in some manner. Just ask
me about photographing the children of Chernobyl emotional effects and after
effects!!

 Those who have a problem looking at your photographs and hearing the
background of the child need to put the photography into a photojournalist
aspect. In effect, human emotion aside, as I'm sure they've seen pictures of
D-Day, the death camps and many other world disaster situations!

We as caring human beings emotionally feel the situations in many
photographs you have presented. But in each case we should thank the Great
Spirit the child is in good care, certainly compared to many in impoverished
countries of the world.  That's when we should shed tears, for those who
have nothing!

They don't have a caring Dr. Steve near by or many of your compatriots. This
doesn't mean we should feel less for the children in your pictures, it means
we have a whole bunch more kids we need to feel for!

As far as I'm concerned I'm a realist when looking at photographs due to
seeing far too much of life good, bad and horrible though a camera! So my
son you just keep them coming simply because your photography is powerful
and meaningful when it comes to reality of life! Your children's situations
need to be seen! We all learn from them, some develop emotional feelings for
others not previously experienced. But never be cowed by anyone telling you
not to post!

ted