[LRflex] Re: gone fishing

  • From: Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:03:36 -0700

Doug:

Is this Kodak Professional Ektachrome 100VS?  Fuji?

Let us know?

Lovely color - I'm sure "as seen" through the viewfinder.

Regards,

Bob in Seattle

On Oct 10, 2006, at 21:35, Douglas Herr wrote:

Lake Tahoe's land-locked Kokanee Salmon are tiny on the salmon scale,
about the size of a brook trout.  Fall is their spawning season, and
the US Forest Service has built a trail next to Taylor Creek to view
the spectacle.  I visited monday, arriving early in the day while frost
was still on the trail, and black bear footprints were visible in the
frost.

the salmon:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/fish/kosa00.jpg
(R4, 80-200 f/4 Vario, polarizing filter)

aside from bears and people, the salmon also draw numerous bird species
to feast on the fish.  One of the most visible is the Common Merganser:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/come10.jpg
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/come11.jpg
(R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8)

the Merganser's fishing technique varies but one of the most common is
to cruise along the surface, watching underwater for a good meal:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anatidae/come12.jpg
(R8/DMR, 560mm f/6.8)

Once a fish is targeted the merganser becomes a highly-maneuverable
feathered torpedo following the fish's every zig and zag, surfacing
only for a gasp of air until the meal is caught.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com