[LRflex] Re: goldfinch (I think)

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 18:20:25 -0700

At 09/07/2008, you wrote:
All,

I hesitated posting this shot because compared to what Doug or David show this isnâ??t much. It is my first attempt at taking a picture of a songbird. Darn theyâ??re small, and skittish, and quick. It is at a bird feeder (Iâ??m sure thatâ??s frowned upon) and I wasnâ??t as close as I needed to be?but itâ??s a start? 20d withh a 560/6.8 Telyt.

http://williamholtz.com/forum

Hi Bill!

It's a good start! And if you think Doug or I did any better, when we started ... think again. :-)

As you've discovered, the smallest birds are the hardest to photograph. Both because they're quick and because they're small, which means you need to get much closer in order to fill the frame.

If you can, try to shoot them in a tree or bush, as they approach or depart from the feeder, rather than at the feeder, itself. (Most small birds will approach a feeder in several stages.) You'll get much more natural looking shots that way.

Good Luck!

David.