[LRflex] first AK snaps

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 19:03:32 -0700

I'm working through my photos from Alaska from last to first (saving
the best for last).  The photos from the last couple of days are:

At Potter Marsh on the southern edge of the Anchorage metropolitan
area, the wind was strong, the birds were scarce save for this Lesser
Yellowlegs:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/leye00.html

A heavy overcast and the bird's constant fidgeting mandated an
effective ISO of 1600 (400 plus two stops under-exposure).  I used the
DMR and 280 APO.

This particular bird knew he was the only show in town so he made it
worth my time:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/leye02.html

Same tools as above, plus an extension tube.

I even had to back up at regular intervals:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/leye06.html

Same tools, at minimum focus distance.

A simple record shot of the American Tree Sparrow, made with the DMR &
560 f/6.8:
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/atsp00.html

In Denali National Park, Golden Eagles are far more common than Bald
Eagles because of the birds' dietary preferences: Golden Eagles prefer
mammals while Bald Eagles like fish & carrion, and the park's rivers
have too much glacial silt for fish to live in.  However this is a peak
year for Snowshoe Hare, many of which are hit by traffic on the park's
road creating a carrion feast.  Bald Eagles have been seen in the park
in higher numbers than usual, including this ragged immature eagle
being driven away from a Mew Gull nest site (DMR/560):
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/baea01.jpg

More to come.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento