[LRflex] Re: digital

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:47:04 -0500

Hi Ed,

> From: "Ed Bougas" <eabiii@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 21:47:45 -0400
>
>  I'm looking to upgrade to a SLR digital and would like to use my
> Leica R
> glass.  The more I research the digital SLRs the more confusing it
> gets. I'dappreciate any suggestions for a moderately priced digital
> SLR (under $1000) body.  I've looked at the new Nikon D80 and the
> Cannon 30D.  Any othersuggestions re SLR vs 4/3s?   Thanks to all, Ed

Many of us are in the same position as you, hoping for a way to use our R
glass on a dSLR. You've received good factual information about your
current options from others on the list, but I thought I'd suggest some
other considerations.

* Decide on the camera features that are important to you and the way you
shoot. If you want "live view", that will limit your choice to one of the
Olympus models.

* Consider your current lens selection. For example, if you have lenses
21mm or wider, know that cameras with less than full-frame sensors
compromise their field of view, and that it could be expensive to regain
it by purchasing wider lenses.

* As others have said, high ISO performance favors the Canon line, but
that doesn't necessarily mean that the Lumix or Olympus will disappoint
you. There is more to image quality than low noise (I recall a post from a
few days ago that spoke of this -- perhaps look into the archives for it).

Regards,

Neil