[LRflex] Re: digital

  • From: "keith.r.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxx" <keith.r.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:28:18 +0100 (GMT+01:00)

Hi Ed,

I only have experience using Canon (400D) but as Juan points out the=20
Canon route provides for focus confirmation and also allow TTL Flash to=20
work properly - via a suitable 'electronic' adapter (that you should be=20
able to source via an internet search - if not contact me off list and=20
I'll point you at a couple of vendors).

This adapter allows the rather poor viewfinders in the cheaper cameras=20
to be less of an issue - just use for framing and let the technology=20
help the focusing through focus confirm lights/ bleep.=20

As far as I know there are no equivalent adapters for 4/3rds cameras=20
(i.e. you lose focus confirm and have to use the viewfinder screen or=20
live view mode). I had a look at an E500 and considered an E1 before I=20
bought the Canon but thought focusing would be impossible for me on=20
such a small - apparently distant screen - but then I have imperfect=20
sight and it may not be a problem. The availability of the focus=20
confirm adapter led me to the Canon.=20

Maybe Leica/ someone could make an adapter with electronic contacts to=20
enable this but until then a 400D is quite a good low cost option (in=20
UK they also are discounted/ on promotion at the moment by Canon). I'm=20
using an 80mm f1.4 (~130mm allowing for the 1.6 crop factor of the=20
cheaper Canons) fairly happily on mine - however with paper thin focus=20
wide open focusing even with help needs a bit of trial and error to hit=20
exact focus on the zone of interest (but I found this with the R6 too=20
and at least I know to try again!) - by f2.8 it seems very reliable.

Best regards
Keith