[LRflex] Re: digital

  • From: Juan Gea-Banacloche <banacloj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 23:28:01 -0400

Hi, Ed
People much more experienced in digital than I am will chime in, but
I think this is a fact: to use your current Leica glass your only
options are Canon and 4/3  (Olympus/Leica/Panasonic).

To have a DSLR body on which to try your Leica lenses and decide if
you like the experience of working with pre-set diaphragm and
difficult manual focus, I would advise buying the very cheapest
Olympus e-500 or Canon Rebel-- both 8MP and between $400 and $500
(refurbished) with a kit lens. There are Canon-body to Leica-lens
adapters with focus confirmation.

This is a "very low-risk" proposal. If you don't like it, you can
always resell them with very little loss.
More likely, you will like a digital SLR and decide the best glass in
the world is no good if you cannot focus properly, and then you may
stick with the system you started, or look around and switch to Nikon
(or Sony, or Pentax). The Zuiko Digital lenses for Olympus are
getting rave reviews.

I like these options better than going to a more serious and costly
camera (Canon 5D, future Olympus "pro" model), because with digital
there is no point in fighting obsolescence, but if you prefer the
newer, more expensive gadgets you will go the other route (more
serious, more costly camera).

Olympus vs Canon, I think it is fairly well accepted that if you use
ISO 400 and above, you should go Canon (again, if you want to spend
more, the Olympus E-510  has image stabilization in the camera body).

Unfortunately, AFAIK, you cannot use Leica R lenses on Nikon bodies.

Good luck!

Juan