[LRflex] Re: childhood...

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LUG Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LRF reflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:01:13 -0700

On Mar 29, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Jim Brick wrote:

Great photo, but Ted is correct! And that moves the girl to the left in the frame which adds greatly to the feeling of the moment.

now, here is the crop...

I like it very much...it feels like a different image...

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW+2009/crop.jpg.html

now for an incredible moment of confession, the image was taken forty (40) years ago, I have had it in my minds eye, only with the bird,

it is hard to see it any other way.

now I have to live with it for another forty years this way...

thank you gentlemen both so much,

Steve

Jim

On Mar 29, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Steve Barbour wrote:

On Mar 29, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Ted Grant wrote:

Steve are you saying “never to “not cropping the sea gull????”  Or?

a little light hearted humor Ted...

but I do see that totally unanticipated bird adding something important, a whimsical touch about the spontaneity of childhood...

that makes this image truly out of the ordinary,

my two cents anyway...

in any case the photo was taken before Photoshop existed, a long time ago (however not before you existed my friend...)

:-)

best,

Steve

If it weren’t so hanging on the corner distractingly taking the eyes right away from the girl, I’d say leave it. Just put your hand up and crop it off on screen and it’s “BINGO!!” neat moment of child & photographer reaction. Where the picture really is, “the girls expression” which is so beautiful

ted