[LRflex] Re: canon 5D and leica R lens

  • From: "Dave Saalsaa" <dsaalsaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:21:15 -0500

Jerry, my experience is similar to Doug's and David's. I have quite a few
Leitz/Leica lenses that I use on my Canon 20D and generally get very good
results with them.  Doug is right that while Canon's  lenses can work very
well, typically the wide angle lenses and in fact most of the lenses from
Leica perform very well wide open.  I am shopping for a tele zoom lens right
now as I cannot see well enough to focus my 400mm Telyt and may have to go
to AF there.  Modern Canon L optics in the long end are very, very good and
much better than the lens that Doug had.  I have seen the results from the
EF 400mm f/4, 500mm f/4 and the EF 100-400 L f/4.5 zoom lenses and they are
every bit as good as Leitz glass but they also are very expensive.    Third
party long lenses don't particularly interest me although I do have a Tokina
EF-S 12-24mm lens that is outstanding and one of my favorite lenses on the
20D.  It is every bit as sharp as my Leica glass and color is excellent and
matches well with my Leica glass.  I have manufactured an EOS to Minolta SR
adapter which allows me to use my Minolta lenses on the 20D.  My main
purpose was to allow me to use the Minolta 50mm f/3.5 macro which is one of
the sharpest lenses I have ever used.  Old Minolta SR mount lenses match
very well with Leica lenses in terms of color and fingerprint.  The downside
of the adapter is infinity focus is not possible but I can use my portrait
lenses as portrait lenses still.  So I can still use many of the favorite
lenses of mine and maintain the look that I am used to in terms of bokeh and
core sharpness.  I am also interested in the 5D  but right now funds will
have to go to a long lens which will most likely be a Canon AF model.

Dave