[LRflex] Re: bonehead extension tube question (can't afford a 14182)

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:09:07 -0700

On 02/09/2005 at 2:58 PM Peter M. C. Choy wrote:

>Can anyone confirm that
>the 3-ring extension tube set for
>Leicaflex can be used on the 400mm/f6.8
>Telyt?  I'd like to try reducing
>minimum focus and increase image area
>for long-distance close-ups of small
>critters.

Hi Peter!

If you are an LHSA member, check The Viewfinder, Vol 37, Number 3 (Fall,=
 2004), Page 38. You can see a photo of the 28mm Super Angulon-PC  taken=
 with the 400mm Telyt and this set of tubes. Working distance was about 13=
 feet! And, yes, I used the mirror pre-fire. It definitely works very well!

You can also use a 2x converter to get closer,(effectively double the focal=
 length but same close focus distance)  but there is distinctly noticeable=
 vignetting with the original, non-APO converter.  The newest APO extender=
 does not suffer this problem. There are also the problems of holding an=
 800mm f12.6 lens steady and a reduction in resolving power.

Go to:  http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/images/pictures/heron72-650.jpg for a=
 shot taken with the 400 f6.8 Telyt and the earlier, non-APO 2x converter=
 and you'll see the vignetting I'm talking about.

The tubes are a better choice.

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt