[LRflex] Re: bokeh..

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:52:31 -0700

On Aug 5, 2012, at 6:25 PM, <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> BOKEH???????
> OK  folks here you are for the ultimate BOKEH story! :-)
>
> So I've been a professional published photographer for now 63 years and one
> would think during that over half a century I'd have been involved with what
> bokeh was and the good, bad and ugly stuff was all about? NOPE! :-)
>
> It would seem reasonable I should know something about it, heck even the
> name. NOPE!!  And still don't care! Why? Well if yer wasting yer time about
> some kind of lens look and not the content! Or only you know it's there and
> nobody else does? It don't matter one whit! :-) Get over it, cause the image
> and content are supposed to be mind blowing! :-) And right there is all you
> need to capture! The mind blowing moments! KISS! Sharply!
>
> However, I'd never ever had an inkling of what it was, it did or didn't do
> and so many other things folks pick up on or understand. Hell me? I still
> don't know what's good, bad or ugly about it. I never knew anything about it,
> nor recognized the name until I became a member of the LUG and at that time I
> would've had about 50 plus years professional photojournalist time in my life.
>
> The bulk of that time would've been Leica, some Hassleblad, a bit Mamiflex 2
> 1/4 and Rollie 2 1/4. And you could throw in time using nothing but "Speed
> Graphic" because that was the camera of newspaper photogs.  Important part
> about the 4X5 is/was? Always make sure you pulled the slide before you took
> the picture!  "BOKEH?????"
>
> Never heard of it! Yet as I re-call on the LUG there were many heated
> discussions about the good, bad and ugly of this, "who really really cared
> about" BOKEH?"
>
> I will be having a personal one on one teaching experience later this month
> about the good, bad and ugly of "BOKEH!"  After all these years shooting
> about the world, here there and everywhere. Do you really think these private
> lessons will improve my "ART OF OBSERVATION?" And picture capturing ability?
>
> Yeah I thought that might be yer answer! "NOPE!" :-)
>
> You see there are lots and lots of things in photography that if you don't
> know anything about them or that it isn't going to make one whit of a
> difference between your photos looking quite incredible or crap? Why the hell
> concern yourself when the most important things are: Light, eyes, action,
> SHOOT!" That's it! :-)
>
> KISS folks is what it's all about!
>
> Or for the ladies.... "Keep it simple sweetheart!" :-)

bokeh, may not exist, and it certainly does not replace seeing...but get this
Sony ad....

"Newly developed large-diameter F1.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens delivers
refined background defocusing - bokeh. A premium multi-layered T* coating also
dramatically reduces ghost and flare caused by light reflection."

Steve