[LRflex] Re: bokeh..

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 18:25:38 -0700

BOKEH???????
OK  folks here you are for the ultimate BOKEH story! :-)

So I've been a professional published photographer for now 63 years and one would think during that over half a century I'd have been involved with what bokeh was and the good, bad and ugly stuff was all about? NOPE! :-)

It would seem reasonable I should know something about it, heck even the name. NOPE!! And still don't care! Why? Well if yer wasting yer time about some kind of lens look and not the content! Or only you know it's there and nobody else does? It don't matter one whit! :-) Get over it, cause the image and content are supposed to be mind blowing! :-) And right there is all you need to capture! The mind blowing moments! KISS! Sharply!

However, I'd never ever had an inkling of what it was, it did or didn't do and so many other things folks pick up on or understand. Hell me? I still don't know what's good, bad or ugly about it. I never knew anything about it, nor recognized the name until I became a member of the LUG and at that time I would've had about 50 plus years professional photojournalist time in my life.

The bulk of that time would've been Leica, some Hassleblad, a bit Mamiflex 2 1/4 and Rollie 2 1/4. And you could throw in time using nothing but "Speed Graphic" because that was the camera of newspaper photogs. Important part about the 4X5 is/was? Always make sure you pulled the slide before you took the picture! "BOKEH?????"

Never heard of it! Yet as I re-call on the LUG there were many heated discussions about the good, bad and ugly of this, "who really really cared about" BOKEH?"

I will be having a personal one on one teaching experience later this month about the good, bad and ugly of "BOKEH!" After all these years shooting about the world, here there and everywhere. Do you really think these private lessons will improve my "ART OF OBSERVATION?" And picture capturing ability?

Yeah I thought that might be yer answer! "NOPE!" :-)

You see there are lots and lots of things in photography that if you don't know anything about them or that it isn't going to make one whit of a difference between your photos looking quite incredible or crap? Why the hell concern yourself when the most important things are: Light, eyes, action, SHOOT!" That's it! :-)

KISS folks is what it's all about!

Or for the ladies.... "Keep it simple sweetheart!" :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted. :-)