[LRflex] Re: a mildly interesting read on Stock Photo Market

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:25:34 -0400

Hi all,

Today's digest has given me a lot to think about, and has hit at a very
crucial time for me. Thanks to all of you who have contributed earnest
appraisals of the recent and current trends in this field. Like most of you,
I've also felt the impact of changes in the marketplace, although in a very
different manner. I suspect that the business that I began in 1974, and has
gone through many "shape shifts" seems to have passed its peak in its
current form, and I've been considering what to do next. Your comments have
me thinking that I should join the leagues of semi-retardeds (retired).

Although I took a different path with my photography by applying it to my
current field of work and selling it as an adjunct service rather than the
sale of individual images, the revenues from that aspect have been good
enough to pay for all my photographic "toys", allowing me to make some
"questionable acquistions" such as my Leica R system (and a Rollei 6008i
system) with a few lenses. So, two dead-ends not withstanding, I'm not
regretting any of it... yet.

I have seen RF impact both the availability of quality images and the
willingness of my clients to "cheap out" on what I would think would be some
pretty critical publications to their businesses. Some of that is the
economy, but more is the lowering of their standards to the point where I've
been turning away more work than I've been doing of late. The other thing is
that the "RF" nature of digital media has had the same impact on every
artistic endeavor, so I can't just pick up my guitar and pick my way to a
new lifestyle. Not one that SWMBO would tolerate, anyway.

As my wife is an avid art show attendee... we've been to every major show in
the region almost every year for the last decade or so... one of the things
I was thinking of doing was to go back to shooting more general interest
photos and hanging out with others of the same ilk. After this years'
rounds, chatting with the photographers and reading some of your comments,
I'll pass on that one as being needlessly risky from a ROI perspective. I'm
also not too keen on the inkjet... excuse me "gicleé" prints that most are
selling these days, preferring to output to Lambda, Lightjet, etc., and from
what I've seen those would be a hard sell due to the comparative cost.

So... it may come to pass that I'll "take the pittance and run", and just
pursue my interests in photography for personal satisfaction. Talk me
down... please!!!

Best regards,

Neil