[LRflex] Re: Yugoslavians [was Voja Mitrovic, Printer]

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:34:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave,
   I was focused on humorous commentary and the general loss of historical
perspective in steady rapid sequences rather than the appropriation of noted
historical figures for corporate purposes.  :-) But I wouldn't be stooping to
big worded satirical irony now. Or would I?
  Part of my comments were referencing a 'briefing' document generated by
Benoit
College in Wisconsin to 'Orientate' their professors to the cultural and social
norms of their incoming freshman class. For the August Doldrums of the american
news industry, the Benoit Report has become a 'routine' bit of fluff that gets
rolled out to fill airtime with while 'nothing' is going on. "Cuz, like, who
cares that far off Pakistan has become a Continental Katrina. Like, you know,
if
it was important Twitter would have told me!"

On the topic of historical character appropriation, though!
Geico, of talking Gekko fame! has a TV ad running as part of their "Does Geico
Save You Money? Does _______ do _______?" Series that takes 'History' to some
strange places. In it the spokesman looks into the camera and asks "Does Geico
Save You Money? Was Abraham Lincoln Honest?" (referencing the american grade
school aphorism about our Civil War President being "Honest Abe"). They cut to
nearly pitch perfect, visually perfect, seamless "movie" of the president
answering his wife when she asks whether "this dress make me look fat?".  The
actors look authentic, it's black and white, there is scratches and dirt on the
"film", and the set decorations and costumes look right and even the audio is
noisy and scratchy like old films often are. To the un-astute viewer, it could
pass for documentary footage!
Impressive achievement, in my opinion, but spooky as well.

Richard in Michigan

________________________________
From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>

Subject: [LRflex] Re: Yugoslavians [was Voja Mitrovic, Printer]

Hi Richard;
Yes, I had forgotten about Tesla.
Now, how about your speculation...the corporate appropriation of identities?
Maybe, someday, mankind will realize what a mistake was made when these
organizations were legitimized. It probably won't be during my time and both
the

species and the planet would have to survive in order to do it. A pretty tall
order, eh?
Dave

________________________________
From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>

David,
    doesn't that just mean Yugoslavians are just following on in the tradition
of the great multi-discplinarian scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla!
[link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla]

From those "Authoritative Scientific Giants" which are Adam and Jamie from that
classic of western civilization: The Mythbusters! He was an incredible
genuis...

and incredible 'eccentric' as well. (eccentric equalling complete nutjob, to
quote Adam accurately)

Alas, someday soon, everyone will probably think Tesla is just a Car Company.
Like Barney is a purple dinosaur, not a deputy in Mayberry,
Ice-T is an actor on Law and Order, not a violent rap artist,
and The A-Team, The Addams Family, and Bewitched, are Movies, not TV Shows.

Richard in Michigan