[LRflex] Re: Your 90 Summicron-R shots - Addendum.

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 00:45:39 -0800

Dear David,
I took your advice and touched up the reflections in her eyes and also
uploaded higher resolution versions of the two pictures from
yesterday.  Here they are, and you can see why I am impressed at the
fine resolving power of this Canadian Leitz lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/2303431551/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/2304232430/sizes/o/

Thanks again for helping me improve on them...good catch!  I noticed
something else...should have put a reflector on the floor so that her
neck would not have a shadow from her chin.  Anyway, this is my first
time shooting with a studio lighting set (includes strobes in soft
boxes) and I hope to find more subjects.

There are times when my eyes get fatigued from staring at the computer
so much, and that's when I fully emphatize with you about needing AF
to help me out.  With these Summicron shots, I focussed at full
aperture for brightness while focussing thru' the Canon 20D
viewfinder, then quickly turned the aperture wheel to f8 or f11 and
snapped....can get tricky with a moving subject!  I've also heard
great things about the Oly lenses, and am looking forward to seeing
some of your postings with your new set of equipment!

Cheers, Eric

>  Hi Eric!
>
>  The two portraits are superbly lit, and the "look" of the first one
>  ("My cup of Tea")  is just gorgeous.  You have captured the essence
>  of this woman wonderfully. All I can say is that I wish I'd taken
>  it!  Well done, you!
>
>  I am, indeed, sorry to part with my 90 Summicron. It has been a
>  faithful companion for many years and until I got the 80~200/f4
>  Vario, it was my most used lens.
>
>  But, I am, unfortunately, suffering from some eye troubles and manual
>  focus lenses are becoming a challenge that I do not need.  The Focus
>  Confirmation adapters (I have several for my Canon 30D) help, but not
>  enough. So, perfect or not, it's a switch to AF, for me.   Because of
>  the extremely shallow DOF, I am still able to focus the Telyt 400 and
>  will continue to use it on the E3.  (Actually, the finder is so much
>  better on the E3 than on the 30D, that I think I'll do better with
>  the Telyt than I have been managing.) Ditto with the 50 Summicron,
>  for close ups & tripod work.
>

>  Keep up the good work with your Summi, Eric ... you're doin' fine!

Thanks David!
~ Eric