[LRflex] Re: Yosemite Pano

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:30:00 -0800

Howard,
On Mar 3, 2009, at 12:18 AM, H&ECummer wrote:

Dear Bill,
Very impressive!

Thank you very much. I am finding that panos are an art form in themselves, not to mention being a technology in itself too.

I find that the R19 is perhaps too wide for multi panel panos. I think about 28mm works better with less distortion to the edges and thus easier assembly.

Now I am curious. Can you please say a little bit more about the choice of focal length?

I ask because I have always thought that, within bounds, shorter focal length is better, providing fewer seams to be merged, but that's no longer true for me because Photoshop does such a good job of composing the pano. I'm just curious about your experience that led to that conclusion.

The four Bali panos are stunning. I like the inclusion of foreground, especially the light in #3 Karma Beach, and #5 The Rice Farmer. They give me the impression that I am almost there!

All the best,

Bill