[LRflex] Re: Wing Back Hummer

  • From: "David Young" <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LEICAFLEX" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 00:07:10 -0700

In a message dated 29/06/2011, LEICAFLEX said ...

> Hi Howard,
> Congrats on your 'catch'!
> Howard, David, Dr. Ted and other listers, please take a look at my
> hummer shot from sometime back:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/3580893030/in/set-72157617461657396

> I used the pop-up flash of the Canon 20D and a Tamron zoom lens to
> freeze the action of this hummer.
> Please share your thoughts, pros and cons, on using flash to freeze
> the action, vs. high shutter speed.

> Hope to learn from the masters,
> Eric

OK, Eric.  I looked, and here's what I see...

1) Direct flash always yields a very un-natural looking image. Direct
flash, no matter whether it's a pop-up or full sized flash, is a very hard
light.

I avoid flash, in any guise, like the plague. And I think Dr. Ted will
agree that if you MUST use flash, use bounce flash, or a diffuser, or both.
 It will still look like a flash shot, but it will look a bit "softer".

2) The high speed of the flash will freeze the wings, it's true.  But when
was the last time you saw a hummingbird with it's wings frozen, like that?
To me, what you've achieved does not look at all natural. A little blur in
the wings usually makes for a much more pleasing image.

3) Although Howard has used some high speeds to try to "freeze the action",
he has not used flash to do it.  His illumination on the underside of his
hummers has come from reflectors, which give a much more natural looking
light.

4) Even if you don't know what to look for, to determine it was illuminated
by direct flash, you can tell by the location of the reflection of the
flash in the front of the bird's eye.  Had you used a tiny amount of "fill
flash", you might have had a more natural "catch light", which would be at
the top of the eye, as it reflects the sun.  Of course, using fill flash
also runs the risk of having two catch lights ... one natural, one not.
Then it's really weird!

5) Although it's a minor point, you  said you "used the pop-up flash of the
20D and a Tamron zoom lens" to freeze the action.  The Tamron zoom lens had
nothing to do with freezing the action.  A side "benefit" of the Tamron is
a somewhat harsh bokeh. You might want to consider a better lens for your
Canon.

You're on the right track.  I suggest you turn off the flash, up the ISO,
and lower your shutter speed - to freeze the body, but not the wings; for a
more natural look.

If the results have too much noise, run the final image through Neat Image,
Noise Ninja, or some other, effective, noise reduction program.

Again, to see what I mean, go to:

http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/Birds/bird-index.html

Click on the hummer in the top middle of the thumbnails at the left and
check it out. The "catch light" is actually a reflection of the clouds in
the sky ... and in a 12x18" print, you can clearly see the individual
clouds.  By using 1/250th, we blur the wings, but keep the body sharp.

Also, note how smooth the out of focus areas are and how they smoothly
blend in to each other. That's a nice bokeh.

Taken with a Canon 20D and a Leica 80~200/4 Vario Elmar.

Sorry to come down hard on you, but you did ask!

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, CANADA

Wildlife: www.furnfeather.net
Personal: www.main.furnfeather.net