[LRflex] Re: Wildlife photos

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:21:30 -0400

Samuel Blake wrote:

Hi, what focal length and type(s) of lenses do you recommend for bird
photography.  Also, what brand and speed and type of film do you
recommend?  Best,  Sam Blake
<<<

Entire libraries have been written on this subject, and a lot of the
choices come down to personal
preference or individual skills.  I can tell you what I like or dislike, or
what advantages & disadvantages I
see in various tools but I won't make specific recommendations.

On a full-frame 35mm camera a 400mm lens is a good starting point.  Many
people will end up using
a longer lens, a few will use shorter lenses.  The technique involved in
using the longer lenses is one of
the big impediments to success, and one of the popular ways around some of
the obstacles is optical
image stabilizing features such as Canon's IS or Nikon's VR.  A good tripod
and knowing how to use it
also works well.  I use a shoulder stock and monopod instead of a tripod or
optical/electronic/mechanical stabilizing technology.

Film is also a personal choice.  Slower films (about ISO 100) will give you
finer grain and more image
detail than a faster film, but with these films you'll have more trouble
with subject motion or camera
motion because you'll be using slower shutter speeds.