[LRFlex] Re: Why stay with film?

  • From: NATSTEK@xxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:59:09 EDT

For what it's worth,

The only reason that I shoot digital, both Leica Digilux 1, and Nikon
Coolpix, 995 & 5000, is that I need a quick turn around time on client reports
such
as due diligence for potential buyers, and digital gives me ease of application.

I can set the resolution to about 1600X1200 in jpeg mode and shoot a couple
of hundred shots on a 64 meg card, quickly download all of the files to my
laptop and write up picture pages with a 3X5 max size and 2 pics and narrative
a page quickly.

I use the Nikons and Leica because of the clarity of the pictures, even when
as small as I have to present them. No cheap cameras for this. My coolpix 995
is up over 15000 on picture count and it's only about 3 1/2 years old! My
Digilux 1 doesn't go out on roofs very much. That is my building elevations and
architectural details camera.

For customers who still want 35mm hard copy pics, I regularly use a Pentax
928M, P&S, with the 28~90 zoom lens. The lens is very sharp and contrasty, the
camera hangs from a cord around my neck and I can tuck it on my shirt pocket!
The only problem, is that it's a battery hog! I have to constantly turn the
flash off, because even on a rooftop, in bright sunlight, taking pictures of
anomalies in the rooftop equipment always involves shadow areas and this camera
loves automatic fill flash! Whether I want it or not.

That's why I need digital.

Now when I go out to shoot for me, I use either one of my F4 Nikons, or my
Leica R gear. These cameras force me to "get involved" in the picture taking
process, which IS REFRESHING!!

Art Tafil
Knoxville, TN