[LRflex] Re: White Hats

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:39:52 +0200

Well, the crop does not show David - a good little sensor you have.
I was just curious to know how you proceded to get so powerful compositions on moving subjects.

How fast is the 50-200 when in continuous focus mode? I presume this is the one you use for this kind of takes. My 70-300 would go astray everytime, I 'm sure - would just go plain Fuzzillogics ;-)

Thanks again for sharing wonderful photos, and for the recipe for potential cooks such as I..

Amitiés
Philippe

David Young wrote:

Philippe wrote:

I love the colour you got here David
As to the action which you caught so well, you know my feeling, not for any kingdom or republic, never! ;-)

Are these cropped BTW.
I mean the photos.

Good Mornin' Philippe!

I must agree, you couldn't get me on to one of those beasts for love nor money. But, if you think some of these shots are scary... "just you wait, Henry 'Iggins, just you wait."

And, yes, almost all are cropped. A bucking bronco can move up to 20 meters across the arena, while fully rotating twice and bucking 5 to 6 separate times in under 2 seconds. It is nearly, impossible to frame tightly, and get any worthwhile shots at all.... just too difficult to keep the action in the frame, though sometimes you get lucky.

Because of the speed, even auto-focus fails fairly often, resulting in shots with the plane of focus in unexpected places or even completely out of focus. Still, the success rate is far higher than with manual focus. With MF, I got good success with things like Chariot races, because they take a known track, and you can pre-focus on a spot and fire when they come through it. But with these beasts, no one knows where they'll be... not even the horses and bulls!

Thanks for taking the time to look. :-)

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net