[LRflex] Re: What is this thing for focusing ?

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 07:23:31 -0700

At 11/08/2008, you wrote:
Hello David,

Thank you for the information!

Does this magnifier, after some alterations, also fit Leica R8/9??

Have you any idea? Have you tried it?

Kind regards

Fred Hess

Good Mornin' Fred!

I am sorry, but I have never tried it with the R8/R9. I found the finder in the R8/9 finder good enough to never need an "aide". However, when I moved to the 30D, I found the finder much harder to focus, with MF lenses. Aram had the same problem with his Rebel XT, and discovered that the Nikon eyepiece both fit, and did the job, rather well.

Optically, the DK-21M is a very good 1.2x magnifier, which really made a difference, for me.

The finder on the Oly E3 is close to, but not up to, the quality of the R8/9 and I find no need for additional magnification, even when using the f6.8 400 Telyt in dim light. It's one of the main reasons I changed to Oly.

Douglas' Sharp's item is intriguing, but you may wish to try the Nikon DK-21M before ordering the Seculine, if only because the Nikon item is 1/4 the price (69.99 Euros =CAD $112.11. The DK-21M sells, here, for CAD$28) of the Seculine piece, and is known to work very well. Eyepieces seem to be one of the few things readily interchangeable between brands.

Please keep us posted as to what you purchase and how well it works with the R8/R9.