[LRflex] Re: Weird/Cool Leica M Rumor

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:30:19 -0700

> Hi Group,
> The LeicaRumors.com website has posted info that Leica will rollout
> a new 'M' body with a B&W Only imaging sensor. Says rumors first
> came in awhile back but he considered them to outlandish, but new
> re-inforcing info has come in over time to make him think it has
> credence and will appear soon.
>
> http://leicarumors.com/2012/03/14/rumor-the-next-leica-m-camera-
> will-have-a-black-and-white-sensor.aspx/

Hi Richard!

If I recall, there has been talk of such a beast, ever since the M8 first
arrived.  One of the
advantages is that the camera could access each pixel... rather than combining
the red, green and
blue pixels under the (now missing) Bayer filter, in order to make one coloured
pixel.

But, it's not simple multiplication, as they overlap sequences of individual
pixels to make the
coloured ones.  Still, I think the increase is on the order of 40% or more.
Thus, the 18mp M9 would
be, say, 25mp in b&w.

No colour, but resolution to match a Leica lens!

[Help!] Does anyone here know the accurate math for this?

Second question:  Will it be an M9 or an M10?

Cheers!
David.