[LRflex] Re: Wednesday Walk - Unknown Birds

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:51:52 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Douglas Sharp wrote:
>
>> No claims to quality or composition on these shots - I only want to know
>> what they are.
>>
>> 3 Waxwings in a tree - I think  (meaning that I think they're waxwings -
>> I know they're in a tree), close to the size of a common Blackbird,
>> these birds  have quite a pronounced crest.
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_3355
>

> This would appear to be the Cedar Waxwing.

I think the Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycillia garrulus) is the waxwing species
found in Europe.  I should have some new Cedar Waxwing (Bombycillia cedrorum)
photos to post this evening or tomorrow.

>> 2 shots of what looks like a rather fat Finch - Bigger than a Sparrow
>> and smaller than a Blackbird. Has an enormous beak too
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_3353
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/MG_3352_002
>

> My books only cover western North America, but from what I have
> available, it would appear that this is a female Evening Grosbeak in
> winter plumage.

I think it's a Hawfinch (Coccothrastes coccothrastes), very closely related to
the north american Evening Grosbeak (Coccothrastes vespertinus).

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com