[LRflex] Re: Wednesday Walk - No longer unknown Birds

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:29:49 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx> wrote:

> So, in German it's a Seidenschwanz (transl. Silk Tail) and is , as Doug
> said, a Bombycillia Garrulus or Bohemian Waxwing
>
> The other one is a Kernbeisser (Stone Biter, it apparently uses its beak
> to crack nuts and cherry stones), again, as Doug wrote - a Hawfinch
> I assume these birds are migrating, we never see them here usually.

In North America both the Bohemian Waxwing and the Evening Grosbeak are known
as wanderers, in that you can't say from one year to the next (or one day to
the next) whether they'll be in any particular area.  Assuming the
Kernbeisser's behavior is similar to the Evening Grosbeak and the Bohemian
Waxwing's behavior is similar in Europe, I'd say it's best to enjoy them while
you can!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com