[LRflex] Was "promotions", now Vario Elmars.

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:08:04 -0700

Robert O. SHAW wrote:
>By the way.  I finally decied on a nice clean (all black) R8 and a nice R
>70-180 APO to round out the kit (R9 w/ R Elmarit 28-90 and Metz 54).  I
>sacrificed 20mm of focal length for the siren song of APO glass.  Took a
>couple of frmes with the 80-200 and found it to be really, reall sharp.
>It was NOT an easy call.

G'Mornin' Bob!

I'm sure it wasn't!  The 80~200/f4 Vario has got to be the great 'sleeper'=
 in Leica's linup.  I was amazed to find it sharper than my 180mm f4 Elmar!=
  Zooms are not supposed to be beter than primes!

Erwin states that the f4 was a direct developement from the basic design of=
 the 70~180 APO Vario, which may explain it.

The 70~180 is, I believe, absolutely the best zoom one can buy - in any=
 make. It's advantage, besides quality, is speed. It's downfall is size=
 (speed again!) and cost. Certainly, I don't think you can go wrong with=
 it! :-)

How do you find it, to hand-hold?

And when will you post some results from it!  I, for one, am very curious!

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm