[LRflex] Re: Was lots of stuff - now EOS Metering

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:32:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Aram,
   thanks for the heads up on how to test this EOS Alien Lens Meter
'Feature/Failure' myself. Frankly now you describe it, the test seems obvious,
but quite glad I have it in hand now. I'll give it a run through - with luck -
this weekend.
   I really chalk this metering 'feature' into the same category as the
'failings' inherent in a Center Weighted Metering System. There are scenes and
content which it will simply fail at metering well, plain fact of life which
has to be accepted with all that it does do well, so a photographer learns to
use the meter as a tool. eg: what it does well, what it doesn't, and how to
leverage it's failings to get the readings a photographer needs to express
themself well with Photographically. (I'm assuming everyone knows how center
weighted camera meters work and where they fail as I make this argument - if
not - speak up!).

Maybe a better argument would be the rather different metering needs of
shooting with Positive Film (Slides & Polaroids) as opposed to what is needed
with Negative films (no parenthetical needed I hope!). EG expose for Highlights
with the former, expose for shadows for the latter. Not 'always' a rule to
follow, but in the vicinity of universal in my opinion. Learn what one needs to
do with one's equipment (in this case it's meter) in order to get the exposures
one needs to get a good image.

Richard in Snow Dusted Michigan

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and
those who don't!
_________

- James M. Barrie