[LRFlex] Was Thanks, now Scanning Tips.

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:19:31 -0700

At Thursday, you wrote:

Thanks Everyone!

I am currently working on my first website. It will be as simple as possible. I intend on displaying a few photos and I will have to digitize them. What resolution is best for scanning the photos? I am of course limited in my storage space but I assume the higher the resolution the best quality images. Does anyone recommend a resolution?

Patrick Werner

Hi Patrick!

I keep my site to 768x1024 resolution, and scan the photos at either 75 or 100dpi. No higher.

Reasons for this are simple.

1) If you have hi-speed internet, download times are irrelevant and so people who post tend only to think of image quality. But if files are large (more than 35 to 45kb) loading times for dial-up users (the majority of the world) quickly become more than people will tolerate and they leave. Lower resolution and smaller image sizes mean faster loading. It's a trade-off. Image quality vs. viewership. To me, it doesn't matter if the photos are of the world's best quality, if nobody looks at 'em.

2) If your photos are truly good, there are people who will download 'em, and sell the prints as their own. You cannot stop this, but by limiting resolution, they can only sell lousy copies. It also saves storage space on your ISP's server, thus allowing more photos on your site.

3) If your photos are good, it's wise to put a copyright notice on 'em. Note that by international convention, the copyright date is the year they were first published (made public), not the year you took the shot. Copyright lasts for the life time of the author plus 75 years. Again, this won't stop the serious thieves, but may dissuade some amateurs. I use the Text tool in Photoshop for this.

4) to save double scanning, I usually scan at high res in TIF format and then make a JPG copy, with the res I want, in Photoshop. Make your hi-res scan, make all your corrections for saturation, contrast, brightness, etc., EXCEPT SHARPENING. Save and then make the low res copy you want. Then sharpen the copy (unsharp mask usually preferred) and upload it.

BTW: You said: "I intend on displaying a few photos and I will have to digitize them."

Fair enough... but if you find a way to display them on the internet, without digitizing them, I want to be the first to know how you did it! OK? '-)

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to seeing your work. :)

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm