[LRflex] Re: Was Shift, now RT

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:00:54 -0800

Hi Philippe!

Not necessarily outdated. There are only, perhaps, a dozen or two demosaicing
algorithms.  Each firm uses the one that they think best.  The other features
may change with versions... the demosaicing algorithm may also change with new
version... but that happens much less often and the basic principle is still
the same.  For the absolute best results, any photog needs to find the raw
converter that gives him the best for his camera and photo style.

My suggestions were meant to inform, not dictate what people should do.  I
have, however, found it a fascinating area to explore.

Those who do not wish to go this deep into the subject, and who are happy with
their present software, should stick with it.

Me?  I'm going to change (I think) to RT, not because of the multiple options
in demosaicing, but because of the very easy to use, and very powerful UI.
Distortion correction is a breeze, compared to other software packages I've
used...including my beloved SilkyPix.

For years, I've had a tendency to drop my camera to the right, as I shoot...
resulting in many tilted horizons. I do it less with the new Olympus, 'cause
it's lighter. But, it's still a problem.

Every software package will let you correct this problem.  But RT's solution is
just too easy!   You find a vertical or horizontal line in the image.  Click on
the adjust icon, and holding the mouse button down, draw a line along that
feature.  RT computes and displays the amount off horizontal or vertical in
degrees & 10ths of degrees.  When you release the mouse button, the image is
corrected, and auto-cropped, within a second. Fast and efficient!

Give Alice a hug for us!

Cheers!
David.

is active.