[LRflex] Re: Was Flying Lessons, now 80-200mm

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 19:46:18 +1000

Bill,

Hopefully the R 'solution' will include some kind of focus confirmation
in the viewfinder. I have mounted R glass on my digilux 3 and focus
confirmation is quite sensitive and accurate to the point where I can
see no difference between auto focus mode or when taking the same shot
in manual mode. When the green light appears in the view finder to
confirm focus the shot turns out just as sharp. I haven't yet tried this
with the 80-200 but will do so soon.  So far I have only mounted the new
lens on my Sigma SD14 and the focus confirmation capability of the Sigma
is poor and unusable.

The issue with focus confirmation as far as I can see is that one has to
work with one single point of focus, the camera will only confirm focus
at the centre of the viewfinder. Maybe that's not an issue as the centre
is what usually counts when using tele lenses.

Walter

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 17:36 -0700, William B. Abbott III wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2009, at 3:15 AM, Walter Kramer wrote:
>
> > I can't get Doug's sharpness but I doubt this has anything to do with
> > the lens.
>
> Walter,
>
> Nor can I, but I think I know something about why I can't. I have been
> patiently taking pictures of song birds in and around our feeder using
> a plain ground glass screen and trying several long lenses to no
> avail. I am unable to detect or recognize when the dof is on the
> proper place on the bird. The split field screen is of little use for
> any number of reasons.
>
> The bottom line is that I have some of the problems associated with my
> age (78), such as some uncorrected astigmatism that will soon be fixed
> with new glasses and the inevitable reduction in light transmissivity
> that comes with age. And I may have a touch of what is called Age-
> related Macular Degeneration, ARMD.
>
> I'll keep on trying though, and I'm waiting to see what Leica's "good
> solution that allows us to use our R-lenses on a digital body"
> actually turns out to be.
>
> All the best,
>
> Bill

>    http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.net/