[LRflex] Re: Was: Concentration; Now: Colour of light.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:03:25 -0700

Neil Gould wrote:

[...]

The main problem is that there has to be color content in order to adjust
it! While many light sources "color" a scene by having spikes at one or more
location in the color spectrum, they also emit light energy across much of
the rest of the spectrum. So, filtering out the spike(s) leaves a more
balanced scene because of the content in the rest of the spectrum.

Light sources that only emit a narrow band of light will not provide
significant illumination (if any) in the rest of the color spectrum, so
there is nothing in the recorded image to adjust! making broad-based
adjustments such as changing the overall color temperature will only result
in filtering the light in the range of the illumination, so the image can
take on a posterized look.

Just as our minds can "fill in the blanks" when viewing a b/w image, the
same happens under other monochromatic lighting conditions. I suspect that
there are details that aren't recorded in the b/w version of your image as
well, but the expectations may be different.

Best regards,

Neil Gould

Good Mornin' Neil!

Never worry about a "late" reply .. .no such thing!

The link worked for me, just a moment ago, so you may wish to try it, again.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/SagMill.htm

Your note explains, much more clearly, exactly what I had suspected, once Etienne and Aram had pointed out the type and narrow spectrum of the light.

I can see your point about the b&w version... all the shapes will be there, but some of the shades of grey will still be wrong, because the narrow spectrum will cause some parts to be darker or lighter shades of grey than they would be if illuminated with a more broad spectrum lamp. But, because my memory is a coloured one, the shades of grey are still "acceptable", even if slightly in error.

It makes perfect sense.

Thanks!  :-)