[LRflex] Re: Was: Concentration; Now: Colour of light.

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:40:19 -0700

Yeah.  What he said.....  :-)

Aram> From: neil@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [LRflex]
Re: Was: Concentration; Now: Colour of light.> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:05:01
-0400> > Hi David,> > Sorry for the "late" reply, as I'm on the digest only.
You've received lots> of good information and suggestions from Ted, Etienne,
and Aram, so what I> have to offer is a little expansion on your general quest
to color correct> the light from various sources. Unfortunately, the link to
your comparison> images didn't work this morning, so my comments are very
general.> > > Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:03:32 -0700> > From: David Young
<dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > [...]> > The light on the Ball mill side is provided
by some sort of lamps,> > the likes of which I've not seen before. The images
have a yellow> > cast similar to that provided to daylight film when shot
under> > tungsten light, but much more so.> >> > Experimentation has shown that
the colours can be restored to some> > semblance of what I remember by reducing
the colour temperature to> > 2000 Kelvin (my RAW software, Silkypix, will not
permit going any> > lower). However, if I do this, although the colours come
closer to> > what I saw, they take on a surreal look. While the mill's walls
are> > starting to come close to their "natural" colour, the greens are> >
still too weak, and the yellows much too strong. Not to mention that> > in
spots, they disappear all together, when they really were there,> > in the
mill!> >> [...]> > The main problem is that there has to be color content in
order to adjust> it! While many light sources "color" a scene by having spikes
at one or more> location in the color spectrum, they also emit light energy
across much of> the rest of the spectrum. So, filtering out the spike(s) leaves
a more> balanced scene because of the content in the rest of the spectrum.> >
Light sources that only emit a narrow band of light will not provide>
significant illumination (if any) in the rest of the color spectrum, so> there
is nothing in the recorded image to adjust! making broad-based> adjustments
such as changing the overall color temperature will only result> in filtering
the light in the range of the illumination, so the image can> take on a
posterized look.> > Just as our minds can "fill in the blanks" when viewing a
b/w image, the> same happens under other monochromatic lighting conditions. I
suspect that> there are details that aren't recorded in the b/w version of your
image as> well, but the expectations may be different.> > Best regards,> > Neil
Gould> > ------> Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:>
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger2_072008