[LRflex] Re: Walking along the seaside

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 14:03:25 -0400

Synergy :-)

I think the lines of the trail now do a better job of leading the eye across
the frame and then down into the seashore.

As to me preferring narrow horizontals, I submit that what I prefer is
whichever crop is appropriate for the image be it horizontal, vertical, square,
4x5, 4x3, 6x9, 16x9, or even 6x24 for a recent shot I printed. :-)

Once upon a time I was devoted to cropping in camera, be it with my Minolta
X700, my Rollei TLR, or my 4x5 Busch Pressman 45D, and then printing the
negatives full frame in the lab. It was a disciplinary mechanism to overcome my
tendency to rush my framing and camera angles when caught up in the rush of
shooting. It served me well until my middle 20's and my Junior Year inncollege.
I had an extended session in the darkroom with the master printer David Plowden
and he wonderfully shattered my framing paradigm with just a few carefully
chosen Questions.

Essentially, the image looks best with whatever crop is best for that image. It
doesnt care if you're shooting with a 4x5, 4x6, or 6x6, equipment. If it needs
2x3, 5x7, or 5x20 to succeed as an image, that's what it needs.

Note: I had been doing some super wide stitched imagery lately, but that had to
do with my subject being a factory building that wasnt very tall, but very very
wide.

Sincerely
Richard Ward

My Sarcasm Fu Is Strong,