[LRflex] Re: Viewfinder Magnifier Issue

  • From: George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 09:36:38 -0500

On Apr 20, 2012, at 11:51 PM, Richard Ward wrote:

> This line of questioning might seem a little simplistic, but I have a Leica
> M8 and when I use my 75mm & 90mm lenses I am having trouble focusing them
> with what I would consider to be precision. My first instinct is to seek out
> an eye piece magnifier, but I have the feeling that would be a hasty step
> without doing some checks first. The rub is: what would I check and how would
> I check it? Heck: do I have to check this or that factor -and- get a
> magnifier, too?
>
> I am drawing blanks trying to puzzle this through on my own.

Realities to consider:
1. These longer lenses are harder to focus
2. Less DOF
3. Aging eyes?
4. Cleaning external rangefinder components always helps (a little)
4. The magnifiers do help (for me) a little
5. The magnifiers dim the view and lower contrast (those damn trade-offs)

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.imagist.com