[LRflex] Re: Vario elmar F4: 70-210 - questions to trinklers

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 08:21:15 -0800

Good Mornin' Philippe!

You asked:

>I'm asking the same question as Douglas but for the above cited  Leitz
>70/210 F 4 zoom produced Minolta.
>
>Here are some of the questions that have come across:
>
>a) Is the minolta zoom with the same values the same lens as the leitz
>one - optically I mean - the "wrapping" is obviously different

In theory, they are optically identical... but in reality,the Leitz
versions are usually better. This is because of Leitz/Leica's stricter
quality control.  Although these lenses (amongst others) were made in
Japan by Minolta, Leica QC'd 'em in Germany.  One lens (sorry, can't
remember which one) had something like a 70% rejection rate.  Others
were re-worked by Leica, to bring them up to standards. This re-work was
so extensive that Leica was legally allowed to change the inscription
from "made in Japan" to "made in Germany"!  Thus, a really fine example
of a Minolta lens *might* be as good as a Leica one.... the Leica
version is dependably good.

I understand that it was this QC problem that led to the discontinuance
of their technology transfer deal with Minolta.

>b) if so, is it possible to adapt the (cheaper) Minolta  zoom to the R?

Possibly so. But the cost of the Minolta lens, plus the cost of parts
and labour to make the change would equal more than the price of a used
Leica version. (These are around, used, relatively inexpensively.)

>c) if not, what are the differences?

The differences are in the mount and in the linkages to make the
auto-diaphragm work, as well as the cams.

>d) if not, can the lenses that compose the Minolta  zoom be used to
>maintain an ageing Leitz zoom - just in case.

Most of the parts that would get major wear would be in the diaphragm
linkages... so no.  Were a Leitz/Leica version to be damaged, it might
be possible to use some internal parts from the Minolta version.  But I
wouldn't count on it.

>Thanks in anticipation for your contributions.

Sorry to "rain on your parade". ;-(

PS: FYI - to qualify as "made in Germany" (or made in just about
anywhere else, for that matter), over 50% of the value of the product
must be done in that country.  With Germany's higher labour rates
(especially as compared to Japan in the 1970's) and with extensive
re-working of a lens, you can see how the change from Made in Japan to
Made in Germany would be legal.  Weird, but legal!

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm