[LRflex] Re: Vancouver (Can a lens show too much detail?)

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:11:42 -0700

Hi Bob!

Sounds like you had a good time on the Island! :-)

You sound surprised that the Telyt will beat out the L-series Canon.  I'm=
 not surprised, at all!

Great shots!  You're right.. they are self explanatory. However, the=
 close-up of the Heron you list as a 100% crop.. by that, do you mean full=
 frame?  If so, you were beastly close! Superb detail in it, though. :-)

You were lucky with the bag in the water episode, however. Last time I=
 dunked mine, it cost my insurers's $7000!

The eagle shots look just a tad soft to me,(am I crazy?)...  but nicely=
 done!

Cheers!

David.

-------------------------

On 14/08/2005 at 9:48 PM Bob Palmieri wrote:

>Folks -
>
>Just got back from Vancouver/Vancouver Island, where my wife & I went
>to celebrate our 5th anniversary.  During the day, she birded, I
>snapped.  We stayed at a place called the Red Crow Inn on the inlet
>side of the west coast of the island. Looking out of our front door we
>saw Browning Pass, which took on one of two forms depending on the
>tide. At low tide we found ourselves on the banks of vast mudflats (in
>which case Ruthie schlucked out there with boots & binos while I shot
>from the banks) or, if the water level was up, we'd canoe out to one of
>the nearby islands for exploration.  The bag with the 20D and a lens or
>two got dunked immediately the first time we set out - no ill effects
>(I yanked it out pretty quickly.) Other days we hiked around for hours
>on end.
>
>I'll get caught up with the contents of my Email box (among other
>things) and see what y'all been up to over the next few days.  Also,
>I'll try to organize the snaps in some way. 'Meantime, a somewhat
>unorganized selection of images (shot primarily with the 20D and 400
>Telyt/60 macro rig with occasional help from the 50 1.8 Canon and 24mm
>Vivitar) can be found at:
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/vancouver_08-05
>
>  and
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/vancouver_08-05?page=3D2
>
>Some of these snaps benefit from stories associated with them, but most
>should be pretty self-explanatory, as snaps should be.  However, here's
>one you may like...
>
>I went out with another photog (and imaging scientist) the first day;
>we both had 20D's; mine with the 400 Telyt, his with the 100-400
>L-series zoom.  The first shot on the page is me trying to get the
>right angle on one of those often-cooperative herons.  The second shot
>is my result. the third is a 100% crop.  Later that evening, we were
>comparing images; when he saw my version he showed visible signs of
>disturbance, muttering something about how "...that Telyt shot is
>looking better than mine...)  Actually the detail in the birdshot isn't
>that flattering; looks like he's been housepainting without his hat.
>However, I do enjoy checking out the change in direction of the
>feathers at various points on the head & neck...
>
>Bob Palmieri
>------

David Young,
Logan Lake, BC