[LRflex] Re: Using the M6 "AND ALL YOUR GEAR!"

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 07:23:01 -0800

A rather interesting topic. Some simple working thoughts.
There's taking everything you own! Wrong in many cases. It's the assignment
that dictates what you take and use, not about just carrying yer stuff!!  Most
important thing to remember at all times and it doesn't matter whom you are?

'NEVER CARRY MORE THAN YOU CAN RUN WITH!" This isn't offered for funny! This is
a very serious point for you to understand. Whatever you have around your neck
and shoulders you had better be able to wrap your arms around your body & the
neck straps with a camera in each hand and run like a rabbit! If you can't do
that there is something wrong. Either cut back on how much you carry or get
into a fitness program and get in shape!!!

You are either doing the "show off all my stuff syndrome." Hey look at me and
my stuff, which is stupid! Like who cares! Only you!

Rather than carrying yer big equipment bag wear a photo vest......spread the
weight over both your shoulders and upper body!  A good one well made and
sturdy, put the little bitty things in the pouches. In the olden days you could
carry 25 to 50 rolls of film in the big pouches or back pouch pus an extra
small lens or two and more. Wear the camera or cameras around your neck &
shoulders. Definitely if you are going to be in a big crowd and will need your
camera or lenses changed quickly, besides big bags are quite frankly a big pain
in the ass in a crowd because...
"YOU TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM! YOU CAN'T CHANGE A LENS QUICKLY GETTING IN AND OUT
OF THE BAG!"

Depending on assignment... think about what you're going to be shooting and
take only that which you are sure you will use. Again don't carry stuff just to
impress people.... you wont other than some unfortunate amateur who doesn't
know any better than you.

Every comment I make is and has been dictated by assignments covered... So when
I tell you I worked "some assignments" with 3 M's of whatever model hanging off
my neck on my chest, 2 R's whatever, motor driven on the left shoulder with
different lenses and another off the right shoulder I'm not fooling. By the
same token many times only one M under my dinner jacket at a large social
function with either the Noctilux or a 35mm. This type requires absolute
available light and being very quick and discreet! On occasion a small 21 in a
pocket... usually never needed. :-) See "TOO MUCH GEAR!" :-)

cheers,
ted