[LRflex] Re: Using an M6

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:15:23 -0500

Walter,

I definitely hear you here. I don't think I will ever completely abandon
film. I do like the "look" of film better and Ektar is wonderful when
scanned. If digital never came along, I'd be happy. That it would
utterly displace film so severely, so rapidly, was missed by many in the
industry. I know some professionals and they all lament at the
unbelievable time they spend in front of the computer in post-prduction
"tweaking." Just 10 years ago, the average wedding or event photographer
shot his rolls, sent them off for developing, got back the negatives and
proofs, then the customer decided what to purchase, maybe a little
dodging and burning needed here or there. Now that same photog spends
hours upon hours Photoshopping everything to the customer's
satisfaction. More time may actually be spent in Photoshop than in
taking the pictures.

But with a lively 3¼-year-old girl running around the house, you simply
cannot beat the convenience of digital capture. For my landscape and
scenic work, plus some documentary/street scenes, I stick to film.
However, with b&w, I think you're pretty much going to go with film 99%
of the time. Since I cannot let go of film, I find myself shooting the
same family snaps with film and digital. I like the film shots better!

Jeff